Images: Daniel O'Grady
竹中氏1601 - 1634
日根野氏1634 - 1656
松平 (大給)1656 - 1871
Matsudaira (Ogyū) Clan
府内城Funai Castle is classified as a flatland castle (its layout: Teikakushiki), and is located in Ōita Prefecture. During the pre-modern age, it found itself within the borders of Bungo Province. It is associated with the Ōtomo, Takenaka clans. Dates in use: 1597 - 1872.
A smaller castle with two original turrets & several other reconstructed structures. A moat circles the ruins. This castle, along with Himeji & Osaka castles, were the only castles to have had an entertainment area where events such as tea ceremony, Noh theatre and moon gazing ceremonies took place.
The Shumon Yagura, the Hitojichi Yagura, walls & moats remain from the Edo period. A number of turrets, a covered bridge & a gate have been reconstructed.
|1562||Built by the Otomo clan.|
|1586||Otomo retreated into Funai castle & requested assistance from Toyomi Hideyoshi.|
|1599||Construction started by Fukuhara Naotaka.|
|1602||Construction on the four-layer main tower was completed.|
|1656||The Ogyu branch of the Matsudaira clan were stationed here.|
|1743||Most buildings were destroyed by a great fire.|
|1861||The Hitojichi Yagura was rebuilt.|
|1863||The Shumon Yagura was rebuilt.|
|1872||The castle was abandoned.|
|1996||The covered bridge was completed.|
|Site||Prefectural Historic Site|
|Hitojichi Turret||Prefectural Historic Asset|
|Shumon Turret||Prefectural Historic Asset|