Japanese Castle Explorer

by Daniel O'Grady

       
Strongholds of the Samurai: Japanese Castles 250-1877 Castles of the Samurai: Power and Beauty

Hamada Castle

Images: Fujinamiism

浜田藩

Hamada Domain


吉田氏
1619 - 1649

Yoshida Clan

50,000 Koku

松平 (松井)
1649 - 1759

Matsudaira (Matsui) Clan

50,000 Koku

本多氏
1759 - 1769

Honda Clan

50,000 Koku

松平 (松井)
1769 - 1836

Matsudaira (Matsui) Clan

50,000 Koku

松平 (越智)
1836 - 1871

Matsudaira (Ochi) Clan

61,000 Koku

浜田城
Hamada Castle is classified as a hilltop castle, and is located in Shimane Prefecture. During the pre-modern age, it found itself within the borders of Iwami Province. It is associated with the Yoshida clan. Dates in use: 1619 - 1866.

Hamada castle was one of the rare castles to have kept its original main tower for most of the Edo period. It was a three-layer building that stood 14 meters tall. In 1866 however, approaching Chōshu forces prompted the lord of the castle to torch all buildings.

All defensive enclosures were laid out at the top of a hill. In addition to the Honmaru, Nino maru & the Sanno maru, there was a Demaru located on the west side of the main & secondary enclosures to strengthen the entrance.

Google Map Views (グーグルマップ)


Best view ベストビュー
Orbit view 軌道ビュー

Timeline

1619 The efforts of Yoshida Shigeharu earnt him this 54,000 koku fief.
1620 The building of Hamada castle commenced.
1623 Construction of the castle town was completed.
1648 A second generation Yoshida lord was installed at the castle.
1649 The Matsui branch of the Matsudaira clan were transferred here.
1759 During the reign of the 5th generation Matsui lord, control was transferred to the Honda clan. The Matsui were transferred to the Furukawa fief in present-day Ibaraki Prefecture.
1769 The Honda clan were transferred to Okazaki castle & were replaced by the clan who had left 10 years prior, the Matsui.
1866 The castle was set fire to & abandoned.
1967 The gate pictured was transferred here from the local government office. It was originally located at a samurai residence in Tsuwano.

Historical recognition

SitePrefectural Historic Site