Japanese Castle Explorer

by Daniel O'Grady

       
Samurai's Blood Imjin War book cover

Kameyama Castle

Images: Fujinamiism

亀山藩

Kameyama Domain


関氏
1601 - 1610

Seki Clan

30,000 Koku

松平 (奥平)
1610 - 1619

Matsudaira (Okudaira) Clan

50,000 Koku

三宅氏
1619 - 1636

Miyake Clan

10,000 Koku

本多氏
1636 - 1651

Honda Clan

50,000 Koku

石川氏
1651 - 1669

Ishikawa Clan

50,000 Koku

板倉氏
1669 - 1710

Itakura Clan

50,000 Koku

松平 (大給)
1710 - 1717

Matsudaira (Ōgyū) Clan

60,000 Koku

板倉氏
1717 - 1744

Itakura Clan

50,000 Koku

石川氏
1744 - 1873

Ishiwaka Clan

60,000 Koku

亀山城
Kameyama Castle is classified as a hilltop castle (its layout: Teikakushiki), and is located in Mie Prefecture. During the pre-modern age, it found itself within the borders of Ise Province. It is associated with the Seki, Honda, Ishikawa, Itakura clans. Dates in use: 1590 - 1873.

Like so many other castles, the castle of Kameyama was built off the back of earlier fortifications. It was a castle of a great many fortified enclosures if not overly high walls. It was also the site of a peculiar episode that saw the central tower disassembled with permission denied to rebuild it. Little remains of the seemingly camera-shy castle today.

Google Map Views (グーグルマップ)


Best view ベストビュー
Orbit view 軌道ビュー

Timeline

1265 Fortifications were built nearby by the Seki clan.
1590 The Seki clan were transferred to another fief and were replaced by the Okamoto clan. Okamoto Munenori then proceeded to build the castle anew.
1632 By accident or design, the main tower was torn down after what proved to be rather ambiguous orders issued by the Shogunate. In the end, it seemed the demolition was unnecessary, and to further agitate all involved, permission was denied to rebuild it.
1644 The only existing turret, the Tamon Turret, was originally built.
1711 Prior to this date the palace had been demolished.
1873 The castle was decommissioned.

Historical recognition

Tamon TurretImportant Cultural Property