白河城Shirakawa Castle is classified as a hilltop castle (its layout: Teikakushiki), and is located in Fukushima Prefecture. During the pre-modern age, it found itself within the borders of Mutsu Province. It is associated with the Niwa, Abe clans. Dates in use: 1340 - 1871.
This castle has a history longer than most. Almost 300 years after it had first been built, Niwa Nagashige breathed new life into the castle & renamed the castle from Komine to Shirakawa. Several clans governed this castle throughout the Edo period including four different branches of the Matsudaira clan.
|1340||Fortifications were built by Yuuki Chikatomo. It was then known as Komine Castle.|
|1627||Niwa Nagashige was transferred to the castle.|
|1628||Niwa Nagashige commenced a four-year restoration of the castle.|
|1632||The restoration was completed. The castle was then named Shirakawa Castle.|
|1868||The castle was destroyed in the Boshin war.|
|1992||The three story main tower was completed.|
|1994||The main gate was rebuilt.|
|Site||National Historic Site|