Images: Daniel O'Grady
Matsudaira (Takenoya) Clan
Matsudaira (Fukōzu) Clan
Matsudaira (Honjō) Clan
Matsudaira (Ōkōchi) Clan
Makino Kohaku had the first fortifications built back in 1505. At that time it was known as Imahashi Castle. Eighty-five years later following the defeat of the Hōjō clan of the Kanto region, Toyotomi Hideyoshi had Ikeda Terumasa transferred here. Even ten years of rebuilding efforts by the Ikeda wasn't enough to bring the castle to its planned completion, the Ikeda were transferred to Himeji castle & Yoshida castle was left without a central tower.
Following the Battle of Sekigahara in 1600, the castle town was able to maintain a level of importance as a post town along the Tōkaidō, the all-important link between the capital of Edo & the former capital of Kyōto.
Yoshida Castle is situated along the bank of the Toyo river. It's main enclosure consisted of three three-story turrets, one two-story turret and three entrances. Additional enclosures formed semi-circular rings around the Hon-maru. Several smaller turrets & gates were located along the walls of the outer enclosures. The Kurogane Turret, the only castle structure standing, is a concrete replica and houses items relating to its history.
|1505||The castle was built.|
|1565||At the order of the Tokugawa clan, Sakai Tadatsugu was transferred here. A long-term rebuild of the castle commenced.|
|1590||The Ikeda clan were transferred here. A long-term rebuild of the castle commenced.|
|1600||The Ikeda were transferred to Himeji castle before the rebuilding of the castle was complete. It was left without a Tenshu (main tower).|
|1707||The Honmaru Goten (Palace of the main enclosure) collapsed in an earthquake.|
|1871||The castle was decommissioned.|
|1873||A fire destroyed the buildings.|
|1954||The three-layered Kurogane Turret was rebuilt.|