Images: Japan - Photo
加藤氏1682 - 1695
鳥居氏1695 - 1712
加藤氏1712 - 1871
水口城Minakuchi Castle is classified as a flatland castle, and is located in Shiga Prefecture. During the pre-modern age, it found itself within the borders of Ōmi Province. It is associated with the Katō clan. Dates in use: 1634 - 1873.
The third Tokugawa Shogun, Iemitsu, had this castle built to fulfill a rather specific role. It was to serve as a rest stop when traveling between Kyōto & the capital of Edo. The Shogun actually only stayed there once & even the lords who were stationed here during the life of the castle didn't use the palace but had their lodgings in the second enclosure.
|1634||The castle was constructed.|
|1682||Katō Akitomo was stationed here.|
|1695||The Torii clan were stationed here.|
|1712||The Katō clan were once again stationed here.|
|1713||The Honmaru Palace was removed by order of the Shogunate.|
|1875||The castle was abandoned.|
|Site||Prefectural Historic Site|