Japanese Castle Explorer

by Daniel O'Grady

The Baur Collection: Japanese Sword-Fittings and Associated Metalwork Strongholds of the Samurai: Japanese Castles 250-1877

Tsuyama Castle

Images: ©Okayama-ken Kanko Renmei / ©JNTO


Tsuyama Domain

1603 - 1697

Mori Clan

186,000 Koku

松平 (越前)
1698 - 1871

Matsudaira (Echizen) Clan

100,000 Koku

Tsuyama Castle is classified as a hilltop castle, and is located in Okayama Prefecture. During the pre-modern age, it found itself within the borders of Mimasaka Province. It is associated with the Mōri, Matsudaira clans. Dates in use: 1441 - 1873.

The centrepiece of this castle was a five-storied main tower & was protected by 60 turrets. It was said to have been as grand as Himeji castle. Now just the walls and the recently reconstructed Bitchu turret remain.

Google Map Views (グーグルマップ)

Best view ベストビュー
Orbit view 軌道ビュー


1441 Yamana Tadamasa built fortifications here.
1467 The castle, known as Tsuruyama Castle, was abandoned.
1603 Mōri Tadamasa was transferred here.
1604 Construction on Tsuyama Castle started.
1616 The castle was completed.
1697 The reign of the Mōri lords ended & the Asano clan gained control of the area.
1698 The Etchizen branch of the Matsudaira clan were handed control of the castle & remained in control until the castle was abandoned in 1873
1809 The palace of the main enclosure burnt down.
1810 The palace was rebuilt.
1873 The castle was abandoned.
1874 The buildings were demolished & the land was sold as farmland.
2005 The Bitchu Turret was rebuilt.
2006 The walls of the Taiko Turret were restored.

Historical recognition

SiteNational Historic Site